Have you ever considered that God wants you to have a great marriage?
Sometimes we are so caught up with the pressures and stresses of life we forget that God’s intention for the most important human relationship we’ll ever have is a #1 Priority with Him . . . and He expects it to be so with us.
Maybe you’re already there. Maybe you already have a fantastic marriage. For the rest, I have a question: What’s holding you back from the excellent marriage God intends for you? Typically, our flesh gets involved, blurring the focus of those things that really matter in cultivating a deep, rich, fulfilling marriage. But now, all that is about to change! Here are
12 Reasons You’re Going to Have a Fantastic Marriage This Year
1) This year, you’re going to focus on the areas in which you need to grow and not point out to your spouse where he/she needs to grow. You’re so attentive to your own growth and maturity, you’re not even going to think about how your spouse needs to change – not that there isn’t a proper time for discussing those issues but, first things first. Or, you might say it this way, I’m working on removing the log in my own eye before trying to remove the speck in my spouse’s eye.
2) This year, you’re going to focus on delighting your spouse, seeking ways to express love in a manner that says love to him/her.
3) This year, you’ve made a decision to put urgent things in their place, not allowing them to crowd out the important things like Date Night, regular uninterrupted conversations, walks holding hands, etc. The time you need as a couple to cultivate a deep friendship is truly needed. It’s not optional but crucial and cannot be compromised without eventual consequences.
4) This year, you’re going to honor your spouse by exercising the power you have and say “no” to sin, keeping short accounts with your spouse. When an offense is given/taken, you’re going to address it right away, not allowing it to hide or fester.
5) This year, you’re going to offer genuine forgiveness for offenses against you – forgiving not only with words but completely and from the heart, harboring no bitterness. And, you won’t keep a list of past offenses because you love your spouse and love keeps no record of wrongs.
6) This year, you’re going to humble yourself and ask for forgiveness when you’ve hurt or offended your spouse.
7) This year, you’re going to take seriously those parts of the Bible that are written directly to you as a husband or wife and walk in them (asking God to give you the strength and courage to do so.)
8) This year, you’re going to restrain yourself from the “biting comeback”, that sharp-tongued comment or the impulse to offer a snide remark. In their place, you’re going to offer a gentle, respectful answer, speaking to your spouse the way you want to be spoken to.
9) This year, you’re going to give your body openly, freely, and regularly to your spouse. If you struggle with a lack of desire, you know where to seek a change of heart – you’re going to ask God to give it. God, please fill me with physical desire for my husband/wife so I might honor you with obedience in this matter and delight him/her.
10) This year, pleasing God has become your focus – pleasing God by obeying how He has asked you to interact with your husband/wife.
11) This year, you’re not going to allow any other relationship to take precedence over your marriage (including the kids!).
12) This year, you’re going to keep in the forefront of your thinking that you have an arranged marriage – a marriage arranged by God. It was His idea, His plan, and is fulfilling His purposes and, consequently, you are reflecting His glory and Kingdom to all who encounter the message in your marriage.
So, there they are, 12 reasons you’re going to have a fantastic marriage this year.
In every excellent marriage, there are always two people digging in for the long haul but God only asks us to be responsible for ourselves. He doesn’t ask us to make sure our spouse is being obedient to Him. So let’s take responsibility and pursue a fantastic marriage, this year – at least for the part of the marriage God holds us responsible.
Do you have a fantastic marriage? Then tell us about it! Your comment will be a major encouragement to someone hoping it’s possible.
Matt Jacobson is the founder of FaithfulMan.com a biblical marriage, parenting, and discipleship ministry providing written and audio teaching, as well as couples marriage coaching. He is the co-host (with his wife, Lisa) of Faithful Life Podcast and is author of the bestseller, 100 Ways to Love Your Wife. Matt is pastor of Tumalo Bible Fellowship and is married to Lisa, founder of Club31Women.com (they have 8 kids!).